Kitchensafe basic installation
- Unpack the contents of the Kitchensafe box and check that all necessary parts are included.
- Box should include the control enclosure with front and back electronic boards attached.
- Enclosed also are stainless steel nozzle(s), stainless nozzle fittings, white nylon washer, 90-degree fitting, braded steel supply line, electronic activation device, suppressant bottle with agent. The relay/shut box is included with an electric appliance, an Asco gas solenoid is included with a gas appliance. A manual pull station may also be included.
- Check power supply location, 120-volt service, the same outlet that serves the range hood can be used. This circuit does not need to be dedicated but does need to be unswitched.
- Check location for the Kitchensafe system. Check the route for the braided supply line and the heat sensor. At this time, you could mark the 4 mounting holes on the back plate. To make the install easier you can unplug the front portion of the Kitchensafe system and remove the ground wire. If the Kitchensafe system is mounted inside a cabinet, it is a good idea to hold the bottom of the Kitchensafe unit at least 2 inches from the bottom of the cabinet.
- Mount the back plate to the location either inside a cabinet or directly on the wall. If inside a cabinet, you will have to drill holes for the braided supply line and the heat sensor line.
- Install the reset tool into the “firing pin” terminal with the RED wire in the right side of the terminal. The small green plug is inserted into the reset terminal.
- Route the sensor wire from the center front edge of the hood to the sensor wire terminal inside on the back board of the Kitchensafe system. Mount heat sensor wire with a single self-taping screw, ensuring that you DO NOT drill through the hood causing the screw to protrude through the hood.
- If a pull station is called for, the install wires into the terminal marked “BMS” (Building management system). There is no polarity for these wires. If the system is to be connected to a central alarm the configuration is different. The pull station plugs will be “push in” wire connectors at the same location near the upper right of the back-board terminals. There are 2 “push in” connectors one is a 3 wire, one is a 4 wire, insert either pull station wires into the empty port. There is no polarity for the pull station wires.
- Route the appliance wires from either the “shunt” relay box or the gas solenoid behind the cook top to the appliance terminal on the back board of the Kitchensafe system.
- Place the 2-liter suppressant cylinder in the bottle cradle and place the wires into the “pressure sensor” terminal. There is no polarity for these wires.
- Check all wire connections, make sure all are landed properly.
- With the TEST RESET tool in place, test the Kitchensafe system. First pull the pull station and receive the audible alert. With a heat gun, apply heat to the heat sensor to ensure that the audible high heat warning sounds. As soon as the audible alert is heard remove the heat and allow the system to reset. Now apply heat to the sensor again and make sure that the system activates and the cook top shuts off. The system must be reset again following the reset instructions.
- Follow the reset instructions found near the back of this manual. If you do not hear the audible “beep” when you depress the bottom, there is most likely a wire that is not placed properly. Check wiring again and make sure all is well.
- PLEASE BE SURE TO MAKE SURE THE POWER SUPPLY TO THE KITCHENSAFE SYSTEM IS DISCONNECTED DURING ANY INSPECTION OF THE WIRING.
- REMEMBER IF THE SYSTEM IS CONNECTED TO A CENTRAL ALARM SYSTEM, THE MAIN ALARM PANEL MUST BE SET IN “TEST” MODE.
- Once the Kitchensafe system is reset, the “calendar module” is reset for a year. In one year, the system will give and audible alert and the “service required” L.E.D. light on the front panel will light. The user can silence the alert on the front panel for 24 hours, until it alarms again in 24 hours.
IMPORTANT! ALWAYS have the test/reset tool placed when installing the system. Only place the squib when you are finished with testing and you are ready to complete the installation. Remember to always disconnect the power when checking wiring and general servicing.
Please find below a copy of the Kitchensafe Installation Manual.